Whew! Holidays, check. Quality family time, check. 2011, check. Cue the snow for Minnesota now, yes?
So here's the part where I, as a member of the blogosphere, am required to at least be a teensy bit introspective. I do believe this is an obligation of one's first post in a new year. 2011 can be best summed up for me as "more of the same". I love Minnesota. I love cooking new fun things. I've enjoyed my time getting to know my sewing machine better. I'm pretty happy that I finally brought my knitting needles out and got knitty all over again. My dog walks on a lead like a pro. Jobby job keeps on jobbing. I keep running. I love my bikes. I've begun to take my blogging kind of seriously. I've been bitten by the photography bug -- I can't stop thinking about framing shots, and I can't wait to upgrade my camera... $omeday. So yeah, not really much to report, but that isn't a terrible thing. Also I will give myself a passing grade on last year's resolution to bake bread once a week. This turned into anything with yeast once a week, and then just making a regular effort to bake bread more often. I am now happy to say we do so often and you should too!
2012 will be mega important, this much is crystal clear. The graduation and job hunt have gotten pretty danged real for dear husband, and thus for me as well. I think this is all I can bear to say at the moment. My plan is to just keep loving my time in MN and I'll deal with changes as they come. And of course, I'll keep you updated as I digest said changes. For now, my 2012 to-do includes:
1. Build a bike. Single speed of course; let's start simple, but with BRAKES.
2. Sew new slipcovers for two chairs and the ottoman and all associated throw pillows.
3. Get dog to appreciate her boots.
4. Bring back the ye olde good tradition of writing Thank You cards.
5. Knit a sweater.
6. Improve my photography skillz. I think my holiday gift from my husband will totally help me out here in reaching my goals. :)
So now I'll talk to you about food! Sweet!
Particularly, let's talk about green smoothies. I have always loved the Green Machine juices; the taste is delicious and my inner child totally gets the giggles when others wince because it looks like I'm drinking pond scum. Healthy, delicious pond scum. This winter we've been stocked with kale at all times (I love leafy greens!!), and green smoothies are a great way to keep the kale turnover going. This smoothie has been resurfacing on the internet over and over again with various tweaks. Here's my iteration:
1 big handful of kale leaves (rip off the tough stems)
1 small anjou pear
1 frozen banana (I freeze them in slices)
1/4 c. cashews
~1 c. milk (your choice)
1 T. good honey
1 T. hemp protein powder (this is optional, but I really like it. It tastes like... granola?)
(I use the flat blade of the Magic Bullet for this)
1. Grind the cashews into a fine powder.
2. Blend in the milk.
3. Add the kale and blend until super smooth. Any flakes of kale will totally ruin the texture.
4. Add the banana, pear, honey, and optional protein powder. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour yourself a serving in a fancy glass and enjoy!
Are there any yummy veggie smoothies that you like to make? Let me know, I'm always on the lookout for good ones with a high success rate...