30 January 2011

one for the pups: cream cheese dog biscuits


     I've pretty much owned my kitchen this weekend. It's so funny,  I can't seem to find the balance of fun activities like I should. You know, friend time + cooking + crafting. But noooooo. I have just been blasting through all the clean dishes at a most impressive rate. At least I got some sweet photos so I can post some stuff here...

So I decided to bake some treats for my dog. I've been really excited about using my new cookie cutters, so this opportunity was too much fun to pass up. Here, check out our silly gingerfolks:


We're trying to get away from buying treats so much. When Tess was a puppy, we went through treats like it was going out of style -- such is life with a growing pup going through obedience class. So now we want to cool it with having so many kinds in the house. And really, I'm sure making them ourselves is going to be the cheapest option. Her enthusiasm for devouring homemade treats is encouraging as well.

Here's my dog showing off for a cookie. Her default move in hopes of getting the cookie faster is the 'solid sit':
Oh, the anticipation!!!
Easy Cream Cheese Dog Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 1/4 t. dry yeast (one package)
1/4 c. warm water (100-110 F)
2 1/3 c. whole wheat flour, plus more for rolling
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
4 oz. cream cheese (leave it out to soften beforehand)
1 egg
1/4 c. powdered milk, plus extra for rolling
1 t. garlic powder 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Dissolve the yeast in a large bowl. Combine with all ingredients and mix into the dough (I used a hand mixer, adding the flour 1/2 c. at a time). 
3. Roll out onto a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. 
4. Sprinkle dough with extra dry milk to make it easier to roll out.
5. Cut into shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.
6. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (note: I am getting silicone mats for the next round of these -- it's handy that dogs won't judge you if the bottoms of their cookies are a little too dark!! So be sure to check on them.).
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a light, golden brown.
8. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment